What Should You Do If you Are Injured On The Job

by | May 6, 2013 | Lawyer


Latest Articles



Would you know what to do if you were injured on the job? Unless you have already had a job related injury, you probably have no idea where to start. First things first, be sure to let the employer know that you have injured yourself on the job. Get medical attention if necessary. If you end up needing a Workers Comp Lawyer Tulsa or elsewhere, you will need all of the documentation you can possibly get. Many people are injured at work and never file a report. Don’t let this be you. If no report is filed with the employer, they have no record of the injury. This could impede the injured worker from getting worker’s compensation benefits.

It is wise to get a medical evaluation if there is an injury on the job, even if there are no symptoms of the injury at the time. Some injuries may show up at a later date. In many cases, the employer will require an evaluation to determine if there is an injury. Most worker’s compensation insurance companies hire their own doctors. In many cases, medical care must go through the worker’s compensation physician unless they have to refer the patient to a specialist. A visit to the employee’s personal physician most likely will not be covered by worker’s compensation insurance.

Depending on the severity of the injury, an employee may be required to take some time off from work. In that case, the employee may or may not be eligible for pay while they are off of work due to the injury. Once the doctor has determined that the patient is back to full range of motion or is injury free, they generally will release the patient to return to work. Unfortunately in some cases, even though the employee has been released by the doctor to return to work, the employee may be unable to perform the job as they previously were able to do. This may cause problems in the work place and necessitate the hiring of a Workers Comp Lawyer Tulsa to assist the worker in either retaining their employment in a different capacity or to get permission to see a different physician. Anyone injured on the job should consult an attorney to make sure their rights are protected.