Types of Modifications that can be made for a Divorce Decree

by | Jun 12, 2015 | Divorce Lawyer


Latest Articles



When a couple divorces, they either create a divorce settlement or the judge orders the stipulations of their divorce. Either way, the stipulations of the divorce decree are legally binding for both parties. Often, situations change over time causing problems with the divorce decree stipulations being adhered to. Fortunately, there are many types of modifications that can be made to a divorce decree. Scheduling a consultation with a lawyer can help a person to legally put these modifications in the original divorce decree.

Since a divorce decree needs to be changed over time, most courts will agree to changes, as long as they are reasonable. Changes are most often needed in decrees that involve children. Common types of modifications include:

• Changes to custody or to the visitation schedule
• Changes to the child support or spousal support orders

There may also be other stipulations that need to be put into place. Often, one parent is concerned about the environment the child is in when visiting the other parent. Stipulations for no smoking and drinking may need to be added. A parent may also ask the court to add a change about people staying the in the home while a child is visiting.

If modifications need to be made to the divorce decree, a family lawyer needs to be hired. The lawyer can file a petition in court so the family-law judge can revisit the divorce decree and allow both parties to state their cases on what modifications need to be made.

If both parties are in agreement about the modifications, the court date is mostly a formality. Should the parties disagree, it will be up to the judge to make the final call on what stipulations will need to be added, modified or removed.

Those in need of help with their divorce decree can receive legal guidance by contacting the law office of Rohet Wyman. They work in all types of family law cases and will be happy to help you with yours. Contact them today so they can schedule a consultation appointment. This will allow you to learn more about your rights and how you can proceed.

For latest updates visit Facebook page of our website.