The divorce rate in Kansas is currently at its lowest level in almost six decades, but it’s worth citing the fact that there are still nearly 10,000 formal divorce filings per annum within the state.
Even though the divorce rate has stagnated and languished to a large extent, couples are now more bellicose than ever before, particularly about child custody arguments, child support decrees, property division, and other hard-hitting situations that are typically handled by a legal separation lawyer.
The Difference Between Divorce and Legal Separation
In layman’s terms, a divorce marks the absolute termination of a marriage contract, while a legal separation allows you to sustain your lawful marriage status, but this nuanced disparity tends to present some confusion and misperceptions.
So, if you’d like to speak with a professional legal separation lawyer in Topeka, KS about your options, there are some particulars and essentials that you must be apprised of:
- A legal separation enables you to retain and preserve fundamental benefits, such as healthcare and social security payments.
- You are not allowed to remarry while in the midst of a legal separation.
- You and your spouse will continue to share all debts, liabilities, credit card dues, and other financial burdens.
- Both parties will be entitled to property inheritance in the event of a death, whereas a divorce eliminates these privileges and claims.
- Child-related rulings will be in effect until operative resolutions are reached.
A legal separation lawyer can help you establish some literal and figurative breathing room while safeguarding each party’s interests, which encourages reconciliation and appeasement down the road.
Protecting the Sanctity of Your Personal, Familial, and Marital Future
As any experienced legal separation lawyer will tell you, it’s in your best interests to probe the pros and cons of a trial separation before you take the life-altering leap of filing for divorce.
If you contact us for a toll-free consultation, we’ll be able to disclose all of the facts and hypothetical repercussions concerning your set of circumstances, and our seasoned team will go above the call of duty to help you steer clear of every potential jeopardy during the decision-making process.