When you’re involved in an auto accident, you’re often confused, frustrated, and suffering from pain. Once the crash is over and you realize you’re going to be okay, you see the damage done to your car. The moments after an auto accident are critical and there are a few things you should do. This will not only help you when it comes to filing a claim, but also protect your health.
* Contact the police and get medical help: If you’ve been in an auto accident, it’s critical that you call the police. The police will need to write a police report about the vehicles involved, injuries, and the potential cause of the accident. While the police are on the scene it’s important to only talk to the police. It’s also important that you do not admit fault or apologize for anything while you’re speaking to them. Simply watch them assess the accident and answer any questions. Of course, you should also seek medical attention. Injuries from an accident may appear right away or they may develop within hours or days of the accident. Even if the injuries don’t seem serious, you’ll want to at least visit your doctor as soon as possible. Regardless of how minor or serious the injuries are, you want everything recorded, as this will be necessary for an auto accident attorney in Louisa, VA to successfully recover the costs.
* Gather information from the scene: Before leaving the scene of the auto accident, get the other party’s name, address, license plate number, and insurance information. If possible, take pictures with your camera or cell phone of the cars, the area, and the license plates. This information will be critical when it comes to hiring an auto accident lawyer in Louisa, VA. This information is also needed when you file a claim with your insurance company.
* Receive copies of medical files and police reports: After a day or two, the police report should be available and you should obtain a copy. Be sure to review the copy to make sure everything is correct. In addition, receive copies of your medical files which will indicate any injuries that have occurred as a result of the accident.
* Contact your insurance company: As soon as possible you need to contact your insurance company and report the accident. Do not accept any settlement they may offer without contacting an auto accident attorney in Louisa, VA.
* Contact an auto accident attorney: As soon as possible you need to contact an auto accident attorney in Lousia, VA. An attorney will advise you of your legal rights, steps to take, and what to expect of the case. In addition, an auto accident attorney will ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
Dulaney, Lauer & Thomas Attorneys and Councelors at Law are experienced auto accident attorneys in Louisa VA area. To get the best results possible, hire local, professional specialists like Dulaney, Lauer & Thomas.